With abortion poised to be outlawed or restricted in neighboring states Idaho, Utah and Arizona following the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization ruling, Governor Sisolak yesterday signed an executive order expanding protections for those seeking access to reproductive health care in the Silver State.
“While Governor Sisolak is using every tool at his disposal to protect abortion access for Nevadans and those from outside states seeking critical health care services, Joe Lombardo is hiding from the media and refusing to explain his record of supporting contraceptive bans, mandatory waiting periods, and overturning Nevadans’ reproductive protections,” said Sisolak for Governor spokesperson Reeves Oyster. “There’s only one candidate in this race who trusts Nevadans to make personal decisions for themselves – that’s Governor Sisolak.”
Las Vegas Review-Journal: Sisolak signs order protecting abortion providers, patients
- Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an executive order Tuesday ensuring more protections for out-of-state patients traveling to Nevada for abortions and for health care providers administering them.
- The reversal of Roe v. Wade is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half of states across the country. Nevada is expecting to see an influx of patients from neighboring states such as Arizona, Idaho and Utah that are poised to further restrict abortions or ban them outright.
The Nevada Independent: Sisolak signs order protecting those seeking access to abortion
- Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an executive order Tuesday implementing protections for anyone seeking or providing abortion services or other reproductive health care within the Silver State.
- The order arrives after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a 50-year-old constitutional right to abortion last week and seeks to provide refuge for those seeking such services. It also addresses the adoption of laws by other states that have imposed civil or criminal liability for those who seek abortions.
KVVU: Governor Sisolak signs order to protect access to abortions, reproductive health care in Nevada
- Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak signed an executive order Tuesday outlining protections to reproductive health care services, including abortions, in Nevada. The order comes just four days after the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.
KTNV: “Governor Steve Sisolak is taking steps to protect people coming to Nevada for an abortion…”
KSNV: “Governor Steve Sisolak signing an executive order to protect reproductive freedoms for anyone seeking to access reproductive health care in Nevada…”
Telemundo: El gobernador Sisolak protege el acceso al aborto
KOLO: Gov. Sisolak signs order strengthening protections for those seeking abortions
- In a press release, the governor’s office said Gov. Sisolak is adamant Nevada will not abandon the right to an abortion and will protect those seeking reproductive health care in our state.
- Nevada is one of 16 states along with the District of Columbia whose abortion laws will stay intact, at least for now. That is all due to a state-wide referendum passed by 65% of the voters in 1990. That law cannot be repealed without a direct vote by the people.
Associated Press: New Nevada abortion order helps blunt outside prosecution
- Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an executive order Tuesday he says will help guard against outside prosecution of anyone who receives an abortion or other reproductive care in Nevada, and better protect healthcare workers who provide the services.
KLAS: Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak signs executive order strengthening abortion protections
- The executive order was signed days after the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade and end constitutional protection for abortion.
- Several states, including South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama and Ohio have already allowed severe restrictions or bans on abortions to take effect, and many other states are attempting to move anti-abortion laws through their legal systems.
Nevada Appeal: Sisolak signs executive order on abortion
- Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an executive order Tuesday to protect reproductive freedom for any person seeking access to reproductive health care in Nevada, according to a news release from the governor’s office.
- “The governor is adamant Nevada will not abandon the right to an abortion and will protect those seeking reproductive health care in this state,” the release said.
Las Vegas Sun: Sisolak order pledges to protect abortion patients and providers
- Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an executive order protecting reproductive freedom for anyone seeking reproductive health care in Nevada, he announced.
Reno Gazette-Journal: Gov. Sisolak issues executive order: Nevada will not assist out-of-state prosecution of abortion patients
- Sisolak’s order now offers official safeguards for the influx of patients expected to head to Nevada for abortion services as Republican lawmakers move to implement bans and other restrictions in nearly half the states.